Estimated reading time: 5 minute(s)
For many young people, Sziget festival is the first thing that comes to mind when Budapest is mentioned. This week-long festival in early August is full of youthful energy and passion for music, making it internationally popular. Located on Óbudai-sziget, Sziget Festival is Budapest’s biggest music event and fills the city with an air of excitement. Sziget began as a student festival in 1993, but since has expanded at an extremely rapid rate, welcoming nearly half a million visitors last year.
Many of its visitors are from Western Europe, especially from the Netherlands, with almost half of attendees being from outside Hungary, giving it an open and welcoming atmosphere with a great mix of nationalities. Sziget’s funky and positive vibes provide the perfect place to party and meet people from all over the world. With 266 acres to roam, you can enjoy endless food stands, art exhibits, and carnival-style rides as well as day-time activities such as art and yoga workshops. Sziget is basically a playground for adults, so get ready to let your inner child free!
A huge variety of music styles will be performed by both local and international artists, further adding to the diversity of the festival. With numerous stages and tents dedicated to different music genres, Sziget will always have something for you to enjoy. For more details on ticket pricing, directions, and accommodation check out Sziget’s website here.
Tips for Sziget
- Buy a ticket for the HÉV ahead of the time: As the easiest way to reach the festival, it will be busy, busy, busy throughout Sziget. Buy a ticket for your ride ahead of time to avoid waiting in long queues at the tickets machines before beginning your night.
- If you have a daily or weekly pass for transportation for getting around the city that will work for the HEV too.
View this post on Instagram
184 days left ?? yes, I just counted that . . . . . #35mm #analog #35mmfilm #expiredfilm #konica #analogphotography #sziget #szigetfestival #szigetfestival2017 #budapest #musicfestival #thisisbudapest #ig_budapest #welovebudapest #momentsinbudapest #budapestagram #budapest_hungary
During your stay
- Do what you mom tells you: stay hydrated, use sunscreen, and bring toilet paper.
- Wear shoes that are ready to be trashed. You’ve heard it many times and here it is again, there will be no saving your festival shoes.
- Prepare to pay: Prices are much higher than in the rest of the city, so be emotionally ready to spend all your cash on a simple slice of pizza.
- You can bring as much food as you want, but max. 2.5 litres of non-alcoholic drinks and 20 packs of cigarettes.
- Baby wipes: Super good for cleaning yourself and your belongings. Basically, the same as soap and water.
- Use the toilets far away from the main stage, making the trek may just be faster than waiting in line.
- Bring sound proof headphones if you plan on sleeping at all. Be warned: ear plugs are not going to cut it.
- Plan ahead: Create an emergency meeting point where you can find your friends at the end of a long night or drop a pin where your tent is.
- Bring a portable charger
- Don’t split up: trying to push through the crowds to reach your friends will get you no sympathy.
- Write your friends numbers on a piece of paper and put it someplace safe. This way you can reach them if your phone dies.
- Download the map of the city: so you can access it offline.