Estimated reading time: 3 minute(s)
Too many weight-watchers over the years have been avoiding a food that may be healthier than we knew.
Chocolate is one of those food groups that has consistently gotten a bad name. According to modern science, chocolate contains lots of sugar and can cause high cholesterol levels and obesity. Well, OK, somewhat true, but chocolate is not necessarily bad for you as long as you eat the right kind of chocolate and stick to smaller portions. A few interesting facts you might not have known:
- Scientists have found that people who eat one piece of dark chocolate a day have a 37% lower risk of getting cardiovascular diseases.
- People who eat chocolate may also have a 31% lower risk of getting diabetes.
- There is also a 29% chance of having fewer strokes when eating dark chocolate.
- You can still eat chocolates and not gain substantial weight; eat lighter lunches, which causes you to consume around 250 calories less.
- Chocolate stimulates endorphin production, which gives you pleasure.
- Chocolate contains serotonin, which is a natural anti-depressant; if you are under stress and worried, go for one chocolate bar – but don’t overdo it!
- Chocolate is delicious and fills your stomach. If you do eat some chocolate, balance it with a sugarless nutritional food.
- As chocolate lowers your blood pressure, it also relieves the stress that brought you to the boiling point of eating.
- Chocolate can be a special friend when you run out of ideas for gifts; having and bringing chocolate is always appreciated.
- Many chocolates contain caffeine, so consuming one bar of chocolate could keep you alert for school, work or special projects.
You may now leap out of your chair and run down to one of the many local chocolate shops around Budapest and pick up some of your favorite types – but only small quantities, remember! Here are a few of the city’s favorite places:
Hot and cold chocolate drinks, Papnövelde St 3
Ráday u. 56
Kiralyi Pál utca 6
Open: M-F: 10:30-13:00 and 13:30-18:30 Sa: 12-18
Zazzi cukrászda és kávézó
Bécsi út 57-61